After lunch we headed off to Dunrobin Castle - the northernmost Scottish stately home. It was an hour and a half drive from Inverness, over the Canon Bridge and up the side of the Dornoch Firth.
The castle sits on a cliff above the sea. It is the seat of the Earls of Sutherland. The lands were taken by Norsemen, then retrieved by Scottish kings and granted to Hugh de Moravia whose son William was made Earl of Sutherland in 1235.
The Countess- Duchess lent her clothes to Marie-Antoinette to aid the latter's unsuccessful escape attempt.
It was also the first Duke of Sutherland who ordered the highland Clearances, creating destitution and suffering to hundreds and death for some.
Most of the exterior to the castle was built in the 19th century by the second Duke. More work was done after a fire in 1915 while the castle was being used as s naval hospital.
There is a museum, filled during 19th century with 'curiosities' including 400 animal heads, Garibaldi's slippers and the skulls of the sons of King Lochlann of Denmark.
We waited for the castle to close, had drinks and canapés in the billiard room then a private tour.
There are, of course, plenty of paintings, furniture and some very lovely ornate plaster ceilings - and fabulous gardens overlooking the sea.
We left at 6.20 pm for the 70 minute drive back for dinner.
Tomorrow we leave for Pitlochry so packing tonight.